Welcome to Capac Middle School
Mr. David Kochan,principal, welcomes approximately 280 students in grades 6-8 each day. (Please follow this link Principal's Office for details.) He and the staff and students of Capac Middle School take great pride in our community atmosphere, and our proven track record for academic achievement. Our students consistently outperform their peers on state tests. In addition to core academic subjects, our students are offered a range of exploratory courses such as Art, Health, PE, Choir, Band, Spanish, French, STEM and Computer Technology.
NWEA Student Assessment Testing
Capac Middle School students will participate in a new online testing program starting on October 13. NWEA is a tool to assess academic growth during the school year and align curriculum to meet student needs.
- Math will test on Oct. 13 and 14.
- Science will test on Oct. 15 and 16.
- ELA will test on Oct. 20 and 21.
Please make sure your child is in school on testing days. For further information please follow this link: NWEA Parent Toolkit or NWEA Parent Toolkit-Spanish version
Homework Help Club
CMS is pleased to offer students the opportunity for after-school homework help starting Tuesday October 14. A certified teacher will be available to help students with missing assignments or subject area support. Click on this link to view the flyer/registration form .
New School Start/End Times for 2014-2015
This year all buildings at Capac Community Schools will be attending for the same amount of instructional time per day (6.2 hours). Please note that because of this change, some start/end times have changed.
Capac Middle School---FULL DAY 7:50 a.m. - 2:42 p.m.
HALF DAY 7:50 a.m. -11:20 a.m.
New Student Registration
Please bring the following documents:
- Birth certifcate
- Proof of Residency
- Immunization Record (click on immunization info link to the right)
- Legal documents with regard to custody arrangements
- Special Education documents (IEP, etc)
- Final Report Card
You may print the enrollment documents by clicking this link
Contact the office at 395-3752 if you have any questions.
SUGGESTED SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS
CMS staff has offered these school supply suggestions for the upcoming school year so that you may take advantage of mid-summer sales.
Click on the following link for the grade level lists.
CMS PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Capac Middle School will be conducting Parent Advisory Meetings at 9:00 a.m. in Room 102 on the 2nd Wednesday of each month starting in October. We welcome your ideas and are anxious to have you share in the direction we are taking Capac Middle School. Please refer to the monthly calendar for specific dates. `
OK2SAY is a confidential, Statewide Student Safety Initiative created to log/report tips on a variety of issues involving student safety, including: weapons possession, bullying, substance abuse, and suicide threats.
How to Submit a Tip
Students, teachers, parents, school workers, friends and neighbors can all submit tips, if they are aware of a threat in school. Tips can be submitted though the following ways:
Call: 1-8-555-OK2SAY, 1-855-565-2729
Text: 652729 (OK2SAY)
OK2SAY Mobile App: Available for download in app stores for iPhone and Android.
For more information click on the OK2SAY icon to the left of this column.
What is PBIS?
(POSITIVE BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION STRATEGIES)
PBIS is a school-wide system of support that includes proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create a positive school environment.
*Research conducted over the past fifteen years has shown that PBIS is effective in promoting positive behavior in students and schools. Use of PBIS as a strategy to maintain appropriate social behavior will make schools safer. Safer schools are more effective learning environments.
*Schools that implement system-wide interventions also report increased time engaged in academic activities and improved academic performance.
*Schools that employ system-wide interventions for problem behavior prevention indicate reductions in office discipline referrals of 20-60%. If you would like to know more about this contact the Principal at 395-3754.
FOR A DETAIL OF CAPAC MIDDLE SCHOOL BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS PLEASE CLICK THE LINK TO THE LEFT OF THIS COLUMN.
As always, Capac Community Schools puts student safety at the forefront.. Please review the following bus safety tips:
- LOOK AT SCHOOL BUSES AS TRAFFIC SIGNALS: The Michigan Association for Pupil Transportation offers a simple, yet effective back-to school safety message to help drivers respond safely in and around school buses: Think of school buses as traffic signals. The association’s tips:
- When overhead lights are flashing YELLOW-- PREPARE TO STOP
- When overhead lights are flashing RED--STOP
- When the regular hazard lights are flashing, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
In a one-day study (May 2013) involving 1,392 school buses, bus drivers reported 1,165 vehicles passing while the RED lights were flashing. Throughout Michigan, there are approximately 17,000 school buses transporting over 1 million children to and from school every day.
District Transportation Provides:
Jeri Moody, CTDCapac Community Schools/Yale Public SchoolsDirector of Transportation
- One pick-up/One drop-off address. Addresses may be different am and pm for daycare; however, they must be consistant five (5) days a week. Exceptions will be made for shared custody.
- Bus passes will only be issued to elementary students and only for emergencies.
PH: 810-395-3693 / 810-387-3231 ext. 271
Fax: 810-395-3694 / email@example.com
Capac Middle School Annual Report 2013-2014
You may view the middle school annual report at the following links:
Capac Middle School Cover Letter
Capac Middle School Annual Report
Capac Community Schools District Cover Letter
Capac Community Schools District Report
Capac Middle School Improvement Plan 2013-2013
Parent Email Address Update
To help us communicate with you more effectively and in a timely manner, could you please take a moment to enter and/or update your email address information in Zangle ParentConnection.
- Login to ParentConnection as usual.
- Click on the Account link in the upper right of the main screen to open the Account Maintenance dialog.
- Edit your email address if necessary.
- Click Continue (or Cancel to abort). Your account will automatically be modified and the view will return to the ParentConnection main screen.
If you have any questions, contact Janet Sonner at 810/395-3705 for assistance.
All parents and visitors to Capac Middle School must sign in at the office upon entering the building.
Please do not show up, unannounced, at the classroom and expect teachers to take instructional time to meet with you. They can better address your concerns if you phone or e-mail them to set up a mutually convenient time.
- Students are not to walk between buildings. If it is necessary for them to go to an athletic practice or meet a sibling at another building after-school, they must ride their bus to the bus circle. If they are "walkers", they can "shuttle" over on any bus parked in front of the school.
- Morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up routines at Capac Middle School have been a concern for many years. In an effort to avoid serious injury to any child, the District Transportation Department and the Village of Capac have agreed to close Neeper Street to vehicle traffic, between Church Street and Aldrich Street, from 2:35 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- Please make sure that you & your child have an Emergency/Early Dismissal Plan in the event that our school day is interrupted and classes are dismissed before the usual time. You may want to review it together several times throughout the school year to make sure there is no doubt as to where they need to go should the situation arise.
- When picking up your child please park on either Church or Aldrich Street and instruct them to meet you there. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Did You Know?
Under federal law, you as parents may request the following specific information about the professional qualifications of your children's teachers:
• Whether the teacher has met the state qualifications/licensing for their grade level/ subjects.
• Whether the teacher is on a temporary permit or waiver.
• The teacher's majors, graduate certificates/degrees, and discipline fields.
• Paraprofessional services and qualifications.
For further information, please call Capac Community Schools at (810) 395-3710.