Welcome to Capac Middle School
Mr. David Kochan,principal, welcomes approximately 280 students in grades 6-8 each day. (Please follow this link Principal's Office for details.) He and the staff and students of Capac Middle School take great pride in our community atmosphere, and our proven track record for academic achievement. Our students consistently outperform their peers on state tests. In addition to core academic subjects, our students are offered a range of exploratory courses such as Art, Health, PE, Choir, Band, Spanish, French, STEM and Computer Technology.
Great American Fundraiser Kickoff
Sale Dates September 8-September 22
Students listened intently to the kickoff presentation for our fall fundraiser. We appreciate your support of our only school wide fundraiser. Profits help support extra curricular activities.
Click on this link for details and on-line ordering information..
CMS welcomes Mrs. Whitican back as 6/7 grade science teacher. Mr. Muldoon is also teaching one class of 7th grade science at the middle school this year. Mrs. Lathangue is teaching one 6th grade art class. Mrs. Kelli O'Connell is new to the district this year. She is teaching a STEM (Science Exploration) class at the middle school & Chemistry & Robotics at the high school. Mr. VanLoon and Mrs. Walker are teaching 8th grade students French & Spanish at the high school campus. We are excited for these new educational opportunities for our middle school students and look forward to an exceptional year!
New School Start/End Times for 2014-2015
This year all buildings at Capac Community Schools will be attending for the same amount of instructional time per day (6.2 hours). Please note that because of this change, some start/end times have changed.
Capac Middle School---7:50 a.m. - 2:42 p.m.
New Student Registration
Please bring the following documents:
- Birth certifcate
- Proof of Residency
- Immunization Record (click on immunization info link to the right)
- Legal documents with regard to custody arrangements
- Special Education documents (IEP, etc)
- Final Report Card
You may print the enrollment documents by clicking this link
Contact the office at 395-3752 if you have any questions.
SUGGESTED SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS
CMS staff has offered these school supply suggestions for the upcoming school year so that you may take advantage of mid-summer sales.
Click on the following link for the grade level lists.
CMS PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Capac Middle School will be conducting Parent Advisory Meetings at 9:00 a.m. in Room 102 on the 2nd Wednesday of each month starting in October. We welcome your ideas and are anxious to have you share in the direction we are taking Capac Middle School. Please refer to the monthly calendar for specific dates. `
As part of our continuing effort to keep our school and students safe, Capac Middle School has implemented a
“Hot-Line” for students to anonymously report safety concerns. This hotline is monitored by the principal and school counselor who will follow up on “tips” as they are received. If you have any questions regarding this program please contact Mr. Kochan at 395-3754 or firstname.lastname@example.org . More detailed information is listed below. Capac Middle School Report Hotline – (810) 545-8208
Ø This number is only for texts (it does take voice mails and tries to translate it to text but it doesn’t always get the message word for word).
Ø Students do not have to leave their name if they did not want to.
Ø This number is to be used anytime they knew of a situation that an adult should be made aware of.
· Bullying situations
· Someone brings something to school they shouldn’t have
· Someone says they are going to hurt themselves
Ø It is not for
· Someone didn’t eat all of their lunch
· I think someone made a mean face at me
What is PBIS?
(POSITIVE BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION STRATEGIES)
PBIS is a school-wide system of support that includes proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create a positive school environment.
*Research conducted over the past fifteen years has shown that PBIS is effective in promoting positive behavior in students and schools. Use of PBIS as a strategy to maintain appropriate social behavior will make schools safer. Safer schools are more effective learning environments.
*Schools that implement system-wide interventions also report increased time engaged in academic activities and improved academic performance.
*Schools that employ system-wide interventions for problem behavior prevention indicate reductions in office discipline referrals of 20-60%. If you would like to know more about this contact the Principal at 395-3754.
FOR A DETAIL OF CAPAC MIDDLE SCHOOL BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS PLEASE CLICK THE LINK TO THE LEFT OF THIS COLUMN.
As always, Capac Community Schools puts student safety at the forefront.. Please review the following bus safety tips:
- LOOK AT SCHOOL BUSES AS TRAFFIC SIGNALS: The Michigan Association for Pupil Transportation offers a simple, yet effective back-to school safety message to help drivers respond safely in and around school buses: Think of school buses as traffic signals. The association’s tips:
- When overhead lights are flashing YELLOW-- PREPARE TO STOP
- When overhead lights are flashing RED--STOP
- When the regular hazard lights are flashing, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
In a one-day study (May 2013) involving 1,392 school buses, bus drivers reported 1,165 vehicles passing while the RED lights were flashing. Throughout Michigan, there are approximately 17,000 school buses transporting over 1 million children to and from school every day.
District Transportation Provides:
Jeri Moody, CTDCapac Community Schools/Yale Public SchoolsDirector of Transportation
- One pick-up/One drop-off address. Addresses may be different am and pm for daycare; however, they must be consistant five (5) days a week. Exceptions will be made for shared custody.
- Bus passes will only be issued to elementary students and only for emergencies.
PH: 810-395-3693 / 810-387-3231 ext. 271
Fax: 810-395-3694 / email@example.com
Capac Middle School Annual Report 2013-2014
You may view the middle school annual report at the following links:
Capac Middle School Cover Letter
Capac Middle School Annual Report
Capac Community Schools District Cover Letter
Capac Community Schools District Report
Capac Middle School Improvement Plan 2013-2013
Parent Email Address Update
To help us communicate with you more effectively and in a timely manner, could you please take a moment to enter and/or update your email address information in Zangle ParentConnection.
- Login to ParentConnection as usual.
- Click on the Account link in the upper right of the main screen to open the Account Maintenance dialog.
- Edit your email address if necessary.
- Click Continue (or Cancel to abort). Your account will automatically be modified and the view will return to the ParentConnection main screen.
If you have any questions, contact Janet Sonner at 810/395-3705 for assistance.
All parents and visitors to Capac Middle School must sign in at the office upon entering the building.
Please do not show up, unannounced, at the classroom and expect teachers to take instructional time to meet with you. They can better address your concerns if you phone or e-mail them to set up a mutually convenient time.
- Students are not to walk between buildings. If it is necessary for them to go to an athletic practice or meet a sibling at another building after-school, they must ride their bus to the bus circle. If they are "walkers", they can "shuttle" over on any bus parked in front of the school.
- Morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up routines at Capac Middle School have been a concern for many years. In an effort to avoid serious injury to any child, the District Transportation Department and the Village of Capac have agreed to close Neeper Street to vehicle traffic, between Church Street and Aldrich Street, from 2:35 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
- Please make sure that you & your child have an Emergency/Early Dismissal Plan in the event that our school day is interrupted and classes are dismissed before the usual time. You may want to review it together several times throughout the school year to make sure there is no doubt as to where they need to go should the situation arise.
- When picking up your child please park on either Church or Aldrich Street and instruct them to meet you there. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Did You Know?
Under federal law, you as parents may request the following specific information about the professional qualifications of your children's teachers:
• Whether the teacher has met the state qualifications/licensing for their grade level/ subjects.
• Whether the teacher is on a temporary permit or waiver.
• The teacher's majors, graduate certificates/degrees, and discipline fields.
• Paraprofessional services and qualifications.
For further information, please call Capac Community Schools at (810) 395-3710.